Archive for local music
The Beat Nun
Last week, we highlighted Maddy Shernock, The Beat Nun. She’s been playing music her whole life – dad’s in Play Dead and introduced her to the Kodály Method, plus she’s been part of Redwood Children’s Chorus since she was two. Now 18, Maddy ended up with the Beat Nun moniker thanks to a friend who argued Beat poetry facts with her. Maddy insists her live shows (next one, Saturday at Muddy’s) are better than her recorded music (of which she has a great deal), but even her MySpace site overflows with lovely melodies, sparsely constructed, but layered to create a compelling complexity some compare – reasonably – to Coco Rosie.
“I can’t describe it,” Maddy said. “You just have to listen.”
Please respond in the comments. Thank you.
4. How long have you been in the area?
5. What brought you here?
6. Where are you from originally?
7. What is your favorite genre of music?
8. What are you most listening to now?
9. Have you ever made a mixed tape?.
10. How often do you frequent out?
11. Where do you spend the most time when you go out?
12. What is your favorite venue? If they differ, why?
13. List 3 to 5 of your favorite local bands.
14. What is your favorite local album?
15. What’s the best local band name?
16. What’s the worst local band name?
17. Who’s the best punk band?
23. What’s the best venue?
24. What’s the worst venue?
25. If you could change one thing about the local scene, what would it be?
26. If you could give the middle finger to any local act, genre, or personality, who or what would it be?